Write an Energy Policy
Skanska’s energy policy is part of its Environmental Policy, which BUs have integrated into their existing Environmental management systems. These commitments are also reflected in other corporate policies, rules, guidelines and shared best practices.
Skanska's Environmental Policy:
Based on the strong belief that project development and construction can make a major contribution to a more sustainable world, Skanska is committed to proactive environmental management at all levels from local to global. With this approach we can positively influence key stakeholders, especially customers and suppliers.
At Skanska we maintain organizational structures, management systems, procedures and training plans that, as a minimum, ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and standards. Our Environmental Management System is certified to ISO 14001. Since line management is responsible for our environmental performance, it is integrated into core business processes and plans.
In a spirit of continual improvement, we involve our workforce in the process of environmental management including sub-contractors, partners and other interested parties with the potential to contribute as part of our ambition to be a world leader in our sector.
Our ambition is to continually improve the environmental credentials of our projects, products and services by actively looking for ways to reduce negative environmental impacts during their entire life cycle so that over time our stakeholders know us not just as a company capable of building environmentally sound projects but also as an environmentally responsible construction and development company.
- Champion the efficient use of energy and reduce emissions of gasses associated with Climate Change. Where reduction is not possible, as a last resort we will balance our own direct emissions using reputable means.
- Generate zero waste through reducing upfront demand, reusing materials whenever possible and recycling (or down-cycling) and where these options are not currently practicable, provide environmentally sound treatment or disposal.
- Proactively select and use materials that are benign to people and the environment.
- Mitigate the impact of our operations on flora, fauna and related ecosystems.
- Reduce demand for, conserve and recycle water resources.
- Reduce harmful emissions to the air from projects, road vehicles, mobile and stationary equipment and processes.
- Minimize the negative impact of our operations on water, land and soil quality.
These commitments are also reflected in other corporate policies, rules, guidelines and shared best practices. Therefore, this Environmental Policy is to be read in conjunction with the “Skanska Code of Conduct” and related “Code of Conduct Compliance Guidelines”.
Read the Full Case Study