Define programme objectives and goals
We are on a journey to reduce our carbon emissions and minimise our impact on climate change. By 2020, we plan to have reduced our annual CO2 emissions by 20% over a 2014 baseline. We will achieve this through improved energy efficiency and by switching to low carbon options including renewable energy sources.
In addition, we annually offset all residual CO2 emissions associated with operations in our major countries to maintain our status as a carbon neutral company. Underlining our commitment to a low carbon future, in December 2014, SGS signed the RE100 pledge to use 100% renewable power by 2020.
We set ambitious targets designed to challenge our practices and our thinking; however with a little thinking outside the box, and with the help of our dedicated sustainability team and the wider business, we are confident of achieving these ambitious goals.
Current SGS energy and carbon targets are as follows:
- Achieving a 20% reduction in CO2 emissions per FTE (full time equivalent employee) by 2020 against a 2014 baseline
- Achieving a 20% reduction in CO2 emissions per unit of revenue by 2020 against a 2014 baseline
- Reduce CO2 emissions associated with SGS offices by 10% by 2014, and by 20% by 2020, against the 2010 baseline*
- Reduce CO2 emissions associated with SGS laboratories by 10% by 2014, and by 20% by 2020, against the 2010 baseline*
- Using 100% renewable power by 2020 (as part of our commitment to the RE100 initiative), and maintaining our status as a carbon neutral company
Read the Full Case Study